Floor Plans & Policies
Floor plans are in PDF format. If you do not have Acrobat Reader, click here for the free download.
- Some things in the museum are interactive, but some things are not. Please don’t touch objects or display cases unless otherwise indicated. Also, please stay at least 18 inches away from all objects and avoid leaning on display cases.
- Enjoy food and beverages in dining areas only.
- Umbrellas, briefcases, and bags over 13x17 inches can damage artworks and specimens. Please check them in lockers. Oversized objects may be checked at admission desks.
- Backpacks are permitted for medical purposes only. Please check non-medical backpacks in lockers.
- Baby carriers must be worn facing front. Backpack-style carriers may be checked at admission desks. We are happy to loan strollers during your visit.
- Children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by adults. Please don’t let children under the age of 12 push strollers or wheelchairs.
- Children may not be carried on shoulders or held over objects and displays.
- Have fun, but don't run, push, or shove.
- Security officers reserve the right to inspect all bags, boxes, or packages upon entry and exit.
- No weapons, firearms, or hazardous materials are permitted on museum property.
- City ordinance prohibits smoking, including vapor devices, inside the museum and within 5 feet of entrances.
Photography and Videos
We encourage visitors to capture and share still photography for personal, noncommercial use. Only handheld cameras with attached standard flash equipment are allowed. No auxiliary flash, lighting equipment, tripods, or selfie sticks are permitted. Handheld video cameras are permitted in the Carnegie Museum of Natural History only.
Please be aware that some special exhibitions, galleries, and individual artworks may have restrictions.