To deepen wonder and advance understanding of our natural world—past and present—in order to embrace responsibility for our collective future.
- We Are Nature: Recognizing that humans are an inextricable part of nature—a powerful yet fragile relationship that has evolved over thousands of years
- Essential Science: Illuminating the science and championing the people who help us understand the most pressing issues facing the Earth and its inhabitants
- A Cherished Collection: Stewarding and studying the millions of specimens and objects in our care, which together provide the evidence of life and change on Earth over time
- Inclusive Perspectives: Inviting and collaborating with our fellow staff, trusted partners, and diverse communities to enrich and strengthen our interpretation and storytelling
- Courageous Accountability: Acknowledging and rectifying the inequities that pervade our past and our present
- Pride of Place: Understanding, welcoming, and serving Pittsburgh and the region