|Sunday||10:00 am – 5:00 pm|
|Monday||10:00 am – 5:00 pm|
|Wednesday||10:00 am – 5:00 pm|
|Thursday||10:00 am – 8:00 pm|
|Friday||10:00 am – 5:00 pm|
|Saturday||10:00 am – 5:00 pm|
Masks are currently optional for visitors and staff at Carnegie Museums.
Masks are currently optional for visitors to Carnegie Museums. We will continue to monitor the pandemic and respond to expert guidance, and we stand ready to adjust our policy should that prove necessary.
Masks are available on-site if you request one. If you have tested positive for COVID-19, are experiencing symptoms, or have been exposed to COVID-19, we invite you to explore our virtual offerings.
If you or a family member have not been vaccinated, please consider taking this important step to protect yourselves and others around you!
Please note: Carnegie Museums reserves the right to require that visitors who do not follow posted safety guidelines or instructions from our staff leave the premises. Please see our Visitor Conduct Policy for more information.
Summer Camps: Please visit the summer camp website for more information.
If you are feeling sick, please stay home and return when you are well.
Carnegie Museum of Natural History is located in the Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh. The museum is within walking distance of Carnegie Mellon University, the University of Pittsburgh, UPMC, and Magee Women’s Hospital. The museum has a multi-level parking garage with accessible parking spaces and bike racks. The entrance to the parking garage is located on the corner of Forbes Avenue and South Craig Street.
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
4400 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Please pay a $7 flat rate upon entry to the museum parking garage. Both cash and card are accepted.
Designated accessible spaces are available in the parking garage for visitors with disabilities. The clearance is six feet, eight inches (6′ 8″). Alternate arrangements can be made in advance for visitors with disabilities traveling in oversized vehicles. Please call Visitor Services at 412.622.3131, 9 a.m.–5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Please help us maintain a safe environment for museum visitors and staff. For more information, please read our full visitor conduct policy. Please see below guidelines, and enjoy your visit!
- Please don’t touch or lean on objects or display cases unless otherwise indicated. Also, please stay at least two feet away from all objects.
- No food or beverages in the galleries.
- Security officers reserve the right to inspect all bags, boxes, or packages upon entry and exit.
- No weapons, firearms, or hazardous materials are permitted on museum property.
- Umbrellas, briefcases, backpacks, and bags over 14 by 17 by 8 inches can damage artworks and specimens. Please check them in lockers.*
- Nothing is permitted to be carried on one’s back, including backpacks, drawstring bags, and purses.
- Baby carriers must be worn facing front. Backpack-style carriers may be checked at admission desks. We are happy to loan strollers during your visit.
- Children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by adults. Please don’t let children under the age of 12 push strollers or wheelchairs.
- Children may not be carried on shoulders or held over objects and displays.
- Have fun, but don’t run, push, or shove.
- City ordinance prohibits smoking, including vapor devices, inside the museum and within 5 feet of entrance.
* Oversized objects may be checked at admission desks, but museum staff are not responsible for their safety. All items are subject to inspection, and the museum reserves the right to decide what should be checked.
Accessible parking spaces are available in our parking garage entered at the corner of Forbes Avenue and South Craig Street.
Wheelchair Availability and Accessibility
The museum is wheelchair accessible. Power assist doors are located at the museum’s main entrances at the front of the building on Forbes Avenue, at the rear of the building via the parking garage, and at the Portal Entry.
Standard, manual wheelchairs are available free of charge at the museum coat rooms on first-come, first-served basis. We also welcome your personal manual or motorized wheelchairs, walkers, or scooters. The museum’s dining areas, gift shops, and restrooms are wheelchair accessible.
We encourage the use of strollers throughout our building. We provide strollers, or you’re welcome to bring your own.
Breastfeeding Friendly Area
The breastfeeding area is private and conveniently located near Discovery Basecamp. It is marked by a sign that says “Baby-friendly Privacy Area.” It has two areas with comfortable chairs and pillows as well as a bean bag chair for older siblings. Parents don’t have to stray far from the kid-friendly exhibition to nurse comfortably, creating a more convenient museum experience for families with small children.
Accessible restrooms are indicated by signs and located on all floors. Please ask a visitor services representative if you need help finding one.
Service animals such as guide dogs are permitted to assist museum visitors.
Coat rooms are available at the entrance rear entrance near the parking garage and on the lower level of the Grand Staircase. Paid lockers are also available on the lower level of the Grand Staircase.
We offer free wireless access at the museum. During your visit, we encourage you to switch to Wi-fi (DQE – Carnegie Museums WiFi) for faster download speeds. Complimentary Wi-fi is provided by DQE Communications.
Carnegie Museums of Art and Natural History building has two dining facilities and an outdoor seating area, so guests are welcome to enjoy our cafes or bring their own lunch to enjoy in the sculpture garden or in the cafeteria. No food or drink is permitted in the exhibition halls.
The Café Carnegie is on the first floor and has both a coffee bar and a restaurant area. The menu is changed seasonally.
- Coffee bar: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Restaurant: 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Closed Tuesdays.
Fossil Fuels is in the basement with a grab-and-go counter where you can purchase snacks or sandwiches, salads and soup.
- Wednesday to Sunday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Closed Mondays and Tuesdays