What is Chromatography?
Chromatography is a very easy to observe chemical process where one state of matter–in this chromatography craft (and for ancient Greek art forms!) ink or paint–gets dissolved by another state of matter–in this case, water.
What You Will Need for your Butterfly Chromatography Craft
- Pipe Cleaners
- Spray Bottle
- Coffee filters
- Washable Markers
- Drying station, somewhere to dry the butterflies
*Most of these items can be substituted for other items if you don’t have them. You can also use clothespins, twist ties, or paper towels to make your Butterfly chromatography craft instead!
- Using your washable markers, draw an image or pattern on your coffee filters. This can be as complex or colorful as you’d like!
- Spray the coffee filter with water. Try not to use too much! You’ll see the colors begin to bleed almost immediately. Allow about 5-10 minutes to dry.
- Once fully dry, take two fingers and pinch the middle of the coffee filter to create a shape that looks like a bow. Carefully spread each side out to make them look fuller and wing-like.
- Use a pipe cleaner or clothespin to tie around the middle of the wings. Try to shape the ends of the pipe cleaner into antennae or attach some yarn or string to your clothespin.
- Your butterfly craft is finished! Be sure to show off your creations using the #MuseumsFromHome!