We have a great sensory bin idea for you–create a Lady Bug themed Sensory Bin with materials you have at home!
What is a Sensory Bin?
Sensory bins are great tools for younger children or children who might have sensory processing disorders to experience some relaxed sensory learning activities. For example, a sensory bin might include textures that encourage fun or textures that you might want your child to get used to (like sand perhaps) as well as goaled learning activities, like foam letters or numbers. In this activity, we suggest including toy insects to learn more about bugs.
Make a Sensory Bin that resembles a lady bug and fill it with any red and black materials that may stimulate the senses. This craft lists red and black material examples to create a Lady Bug, but you can create any kind of bug play bin; for example, if you have mostly green things around the house or don’t like lady bugs as much, you can make a Grasshopper bin!
Needed to Make the Sensory Bin
- 1 small/medium-sized bin
- Black & red constructions paper
- Black and red markers
- Black or red pipe cleaners
- Tongs or measuring cups
Ideas to Fill the Sensory Bin
- Red and black dried beans or oats
- Red and black pompoms
- Hard pasta colored red or black
- DIY red or black play-doh/slime
- Red or black-colored rocks
- Red and black-colored buttons
- Small plastic insect toys
Fill your lady bug bin with any materials you’d like to explore. There are some red and black options listed above, but feel free to use anything you have available!
- Using your scissors, markers, and pipe cleaners, create the 6 legs, 2 antennae, and the head of the ladybug.
- Tape down the antennae, legs, and head onto the small/medium-sized bin.
- Fill your lady bug with any of the materials listed above or substitutes as desired. You can make all items black and red to resemble a lady bug.
- Once your sensory bin is filled use tongs and measuring cups to help your child pick our specific materials like small plastic insects or insect toys! Get Creative and have fun with it!